Re: st: More efficient processing of nested loops?

From   Robson Glasscock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: More efficient processing of nested loops?
Date   Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:55:06 -0400

Nick,
Thank you for your help with this. Your approach gives me the return
for a single day. There is some variation, but that day is usually the
return on the date the two datasets were merged. These observations
have non-missing values for datadate_2 and date_t_4. I had a difficult
time writing this up, and I apologize if my description of the merged
datasets or the problem was not clear enough.

Dataset A has around 12 years of daily returns for 3,500 firms.
Dataset B has the earnings announcement date for quarter t
(datadate_2) and quarter t-4 (date_t_4) in each row. I merged these
two datasets (1:1 cusip date) into Dataset C and ran the two loops.
There are typically around 250 days between datadate_2 and date_t_4
that need to be added together.

I can provide any additional information if needed. Here is the code I
ran from your responses:

bysort cum_id_cum (datadate_2) : gen d2_temp_2 = datadate_2[1]
bysort cum_id_cum (date_t_4) : gen dt_temp_2 = date_t_4[1]
egen cusip_mode = mode(cusip), by(cum_id_cum)
local mark "date <= d2_temp_2 & date >= dt_temp_2 & cusip_mode==cusip"
egen cum_ab_temp = total(ab_ret) if `mark', by(cum_id_cum)
replace cum_ab = cum_ab_temp if `mark'

I wrote the two inefficient loops based on what I would do by hand to
sum up the abnormal returns. Go into the first cusip and identify the
two boundary dates for the first earnings announcement. Go back
through all the daily returns for that cusip and mark each day that is
between these two dates. Sum up these individual returns into one
number. Do this again for the first cusip but second earnings
announcement, etc.

Thanks again for the time you have already spent on this,
Robson