Re: st: ado file help

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ado file help
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:55:38 +0200

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:40 PM, tashi lama wrote:
> in this code, 2 variables are created namely var1 and var2. So, I want to create a dataset using syntax options, which I did.  I would also like to have the flexibility of drawing graphs of the variables I want ( say for example tsline var1 or var2 or both)  or list the variables(say for example list var2 or var2 or both )  for that matter. What really sucks is syntax's limitation to only look backward.

Sounds like you want to do way too many things in one program. That is
in general very bad practice. In particular you should never ever want
to combine data preparation (in your case loading your data and
creating variables) and data analysis (in your case creating a graph)
in one program. See for example:

J. Scott Long (2009) The Workflow of Data Analysis Using Stata.
College Station, TX: Stata Press.
<http://stata-press.com/books/workflow-data-analysis-stata/>

Anyhow, you can use syntax in the way you desire, but I am going to do
you a favor by not helping you do something that is bad.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB
Reichpietschufer 50