Re: st: xtreg check for outliers

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtreg check for outliers
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:37:05 -0400

Dalhia,

In multiple regression, "outliers" can take a variety of forms.

An observation may have an unusual combination of values of the
predictor variables.  Such points are influential.  If the model fits
well there, the corresponding value of y may not be an outlier.
Cook's distance, DFFITS, and DFBETAS help to diagnose various aspects
of influence.

Studentized residuals can show whether the model fits poorly at an
individual observation (in effect, whether that value of y is an
outlier, relative to the model).

The variety of possibilities can make diagnosis of "outliers" challenging.

David Hoaglin