Re: Fw: st: comparing coefficients across models

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Fw: st: comparing coefficients across models
Date   Sat, 4 Aug 2012 22:07:56 -0400

Dalhia,

Thanks for the additional information.

I have thought about your model a bit, and I don't yet see why adding
x3*group_dummy would produce high collinearity among the predictors.
I have not used an expression such as x3*group_dummy as a predictor.
I suppose that is all right (pardon this gap in my experience with
Stata).  It's more difficult to think about what is going on in the
predictors in the presence of the fixed effects.

You can fit the same model separately to the two groups and compare
the two coefficients of x3.  Since the two models have the same list
of predictor variables, the coefficient of x3 reflects adjustment for
the contributions of x1 and x2 (and the intercept) in each model, but
those adjustments are not constrained to be the same in the two
models.  Thus, fitting the separate models is close to using a model
that includes group_dummy (to get a separate intercept for group 2),
x1*group_dummy, x2*group_dummy, and x3*group_dummy.  I say "close to"
because each model has its own set of fixed effects.  Fitting the
model in which the predictors are x1, x2, x3, and x3*group_dummy has
the advantage of making the same adjustments in the two groups.  It
also uses maximizes the number of residual degrees of freedom, though
the sample sizes in the two groups are large enough that this is not
very important.

It is generally a good idea to check whether error variance is
constant, both within groups and across the ranges of x1 and x3, but
collinearity is a property of the predictor variables.

David Hoaglin