Re: st: looping to rename variable names

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: looping to rename variable names
Date   Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:21:56 -0500

For completeness, note also

1. A -renvars- solution

renvars *_? , postdrop(2)

However, -renvars- was never posted on SSC (which Steve meant by
"SCC"). Files could be downloaded from the Stata Journal website by
users of  Stata versions 8 through 11. Users of Stata 12 should try
the much extended -rename- first.

2. A loop solution

foreach v of var *_? {
           local new = substr("`v'", 1, length("`v'") - 2)
           rename `v' `new'
}

Nick

On 2012-08-02, at 7:42 PM, "Kate Xu" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I would like to program a loop in STATA to change the name a long list
>>> of variables ending with "_" and a letter, like these:
>>>
>>> ab1535_a
>>> ab32343_b
>>> ab089790_g
>>> ab3434_t