Re: st: Interval censoring using intcens

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Interval censoring using intcens
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:13:01 +0100

The key additional piece of information that you now provide is that, in
your panel, there are missing data at some time points for some
subjects.

One way of viewing this is to say that the interval-widths in the
interval censoring may vary from individual to individual (because of
missing data). In terms of the strategy, that I outlined, I think that
makes the programming of the likelihood more complicated because the
strategy I proposed  assumed that the n'th interval along the survival
time axis is the same for all subjects. Judicious collapsing of
intervals might help get around this problem -- at least in the single
spell case -- but with multiple spells, your missing data points are
related to deciding when one spell finishes and another starts.

Whatever, the point is that you have incomplete information. So to
proceed you'll have to bring in more information of some kind in some
way.

I see your proposal to use MI as related to that. But, as ever with MI,
and especially in your context, what is your imputation model going to
be?

Related: one approach might be to see if some sort of bounding approach
is possible. E.g. what would happen if you filled in all gaps assuming
that they were non-infectious times points or, alternatively, were all
infectious time points? (These are 2 imputation models ... ) I think
some researchers have used these approaches when modelling poverty spell
lengths using household panel data with annual interviews, and sometimes
income is missing at the interview so annual poverty status cannot
always be ascertained. Sorry, but I can't recall references.

Stephen