Re: st: Interval censoring using intcens

From   Patrick Munywoki <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interval censoring using intcens
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2012 11:58:21 +0100

Many thanks for the suggestions.

The main problem in my dataset is i do not have an exact date/time of when
the study participants either started or stopped shedding the respiratory
virus of interest. note i sample participant twice-a-week hence there are
intervals of 3 to 4 days(longer in cases where sample was not collected)
between sample collections for all the participants. Any further ideas on
how to analyse this data is welcome.

I am currently thinking of using imputation techniques to determine when
the infection episodes started and ended before i proceed with the survival
analysis. Your thoughts on this approach is also welcome.

Thanks
Patrick

On 29 July 2012 13:02, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve Samuels provided very good advice. Some other reflections from me:
>
> -intcens- (on SSC) is a program that fits parametric _continuous_
> survival time distributions to interval-censored survival time data
> (a.k.a. as grouped or discrete time data). The program doesn't allow
> time-varying covariates. It has one row per spell/obs -- convenient for
> the maximisation by -ml-.
>
> I'm not sure that -stpm- (which you ask about) is appropriate for
> interval-censored data. I would check further if I were you. (If it is,
> then also check out -stpm2- which is more flexible and faster. Use
> -findit- to get latest version -- it's from SJ or SSC.)
>
> You could think more generally about models for interval-censored data
> -- see the MS and lessons off my survival analysis webpages (URL below)
> for discussion and references.  This shows how you can fit models which
> make no assumption about the shape of the underlying survival time
> distribution. (You can assume shapes for the interval-hazard if you
> wish; but can also assume interval-specific values if you wish and your
> data allow it.) And time-varying covariates can be easily incorporated.
>
> More complicated is what to do with multiple spells. (You don't mention
> them explicitly, but it sounds as if you have them according to your
> description.)   The key issue is non-independence across spells from the
> same person. Steve Samuels remarked on this and suggested clustering the
> standard errors (persons as clusters). An alternative is to assume some
> parametric form for the individual-specific effect that generates the
> non-independence across spells from the same person -- this is 'frailty'
> a.k.a. 'unobserved heterogeneity'. The most straightforward of handling
> this would be:
> * Reorganise (expand) your data so that you have one row in data set for
> each interval that each person is at risk of infection, and create an
> event occurrence indicator y_it for person i and interval t (see my
> Lessons)
> * Create any time-varying covariates required. At minimum, this will be
> some specification for the duration dependence of the interval hazard
> * fit a -xtcloglog- model with the binary outcome variable being y_it.
> This assumes that the person-specific frailty is normal (Gaussian). Or
> just fit a -cloglog- model if you want to ignore frailty. Either way,
> you would be fitting the interval-censored model corresponding to an
> underlying continuous time model that satisfies the proportional hazards
> assumption. (That assumption can be tested using interactions between
> explanatory variables and the variables summarising duration
> dependence.)  An alternative would be -xtlogit- and -logit- to data
> organised in the same way.
>
> [Cf. -pgmhaz8- and -hshaz- (on SSC) which also fit discrete time
> proportional hazards models with frailty (Gamma, and discrete mass
> [...]

Patrick Munywoki