Re: st: Fwd: Converting weekly data of form yyyyww

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Fwd: Converting weekly data of form yyyyww
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2012 17:14:02 -0500

I am now delivering on my intention to write more about this.

I suggest that the key to analysing this kind of weekly data is to
treat it as daily data with a period of 7 days. Stata's weekly dates
are no use here as it's clear that the definition of week in the data
allows 53 weeks in some years. Stata's idea of weeks does not
encompass that, as in Stata week 52 in each year is stretched to 8 or
9 days, depending on whether a year is a leap year.

Ruth doesn't spell out the rules used in her data source, but 53 weeks
in 2009 are consistent with there being 53 Thursdays in 2009. Whether
Thursday is the beginning or the end of the week is ambiguous, but
also immaterial to the code to follow.

The calculation pivots on finding the day of the week of January 1 in
each year from which it is a small step to finding the first Thursday
in each year and another small step to identifying all Thursdays.  I
include a trap for incorrect data. The nub of the code is the -dow()-
function which returns 4 for Thursdays.

I'd be delighted to hear of neater ways of approaching this, so long
as they don't involve -merge- (personal taste supervening there).
More seriously, any other solution that is as short or shorter, or as
clear or clearer, is naturally of interest.

. inp str06 dates

         dates
  1. 201002
  2. 200953
  3. 201102
  4. 200935
  5. end

. gen week = real(substr(dates, -2, 2))

. gen year = real(substr(dates, 1, 4))

. gen jan1 = dow(mdy(1,1,year))

. local wanted = 4

. gen weeklydates = cond(jan1 <= `wanted', 1 -  jan1 + `wanted', 8 -
jan1 + `wanted')

. replace weeklydates = weeklydates + (week - 1) * 7
(4 real changes made)

. replace weeklydates = . if weeklydates > doy(mdy(12, 31, year))
(0 real changes made)

. gen date = mdy(1,1, year) + weeklydates - 1

. format date %td

. tsset date, delta(7)
        time variable:  date, 27aug2009 to 13jan2011, but with gaps
                delta:  7 days

.
. l

     |  dates   week   year   jan1   weekly~s        date |
  1. | 200935     35   2009      4        239   27aug2009 |
  2. | 200953     53   2009      4        365   31dec2009 |
  3. | 201002      2   2010      5         14   14jan2010 |
  4. | 201102      2   2011      6         13   13jan2011 |