R: st: q-q plots, theoretical distribution with values higher than the sample's cutoff point

From   "Lucia R.Latino" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: q-q plots, theoretical distribution with values higher than the sample's cutoff point
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:59:37 +0200

Nick and Maarten,

I see your point. For sure I have a problem with the tail of my
distribution. However, I don?t think that dropping what I consider outliers
is the problem given that the q-q plot shows the same pattern before and
after I drop observations. In the example Nick gave me,  I see the
difference. When I chop the data at 10,000 the q-q plot looks exactly like
mine, while I get a different picture if I use all the data. It does not
happen with my dataset.

About the truncated distribution, would it still make sense if I can
reasonably think that the value over 10,000 are outliers rather than extreme
value of the distribution?

And here, I am back to David.
The data refers to daily per capita kilocalorie consumption. That is the
reason why I would find really hard to believe that I can have observations
higher than 10000 (which is already an high value). Furthermore, the
observations I am dropping are less than 1% of the sample (11280
observations) and there are no evidence of more than one mode.

It may be true that the distributions I am trying to fit are simply not
right for my data, but as David said: ?the Q-Q plot should show systematic
lack of fit in other parts of the data, not just at 10,000 and above?. This
is why I wrote to statalist.

I read about the g-and-h distributions, but I have never used it. Could you
tell me if there is any package in Stata or do I need to write all the codes
for them?

Thank you for your kind support.
Lucia