Re: st: RE: RE: predicted probabilities of interaction term

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: predicted probabilities of interaction term
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:52:26 +0200

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Valle, Giuseppina wrote:
> In terms of the postestimation commands, I have not located
> any syntax available that will produced predicted probabilities
> of the interaction terms with a mlogit. I have 4 values for
> "race" and 3 values for "relig." I assume that using prtab
> along with specified values of these two variables would not
> produce the estimates I am looking for, as that is the only
> command I have used for predicted probabilities.

Probabilities always refer to an outcome, e.g. the probability of
being rich, getting an accident, getting married, etc. As a
consequence, "predicted probabilities of the interaction terms" can
not exist as interaction terms aren't outcomes.

You can get predicted probabilities of outcomes for different groups
and use those to get an idea of how the interaction effect works. The
command for that is -margins-, see -help margins- and Williams (2012).
It is impossible for use to give more concrete advise than this, as
you did not specify exactly what estimates you were looking for.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Richard Williams (2012) "Using the margins command to estimate and
interpret adjusted predictions and marginal effects." The Stata
Journal, 12(2):308-331.
<http://stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0260>

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie