Re: st: Propensity Score Matching with Multiple Categorical Variables with Multiple Categories...Dummy Variables?

Subject   Re: st: Propensity Score Matching with Multiple Categorical Variables with Multiple Categories...Dummy Variables?
Date   Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:12:40 -0400

Ariel and Pete--
Estimating a logit with dummies is one way to combine across distinct
combinations of the 15 observables to estimate a propensity score. A
fully nonparametric propensity score would include every possible
interaction as well, or simply compute the mean of treatment across
all cells (possibly millions of cells).  If any cells have pscore 0 or
1, and some are almost certain to be degenerate in that way, then you
must combine that cell with another; one way of doing that is using
the marginal across some subset of categories. The logit with no
interactions is one particular method of combining across cells.

sysuse auto
logit foreign i.rep78
predict p if e(sample)
egen m=mean(foreign), by(rep78)
su m p if p<.
* Note that if you do not restrict using if e(sample)
* the estimated p=.818 for rep78=1
* (taken from excl cat rep78=5) when it should be zero.
ta rep78, mi sum(foreign)
ta rep78, mi sum(m)
ta rep78, mi sum(p)

g fakecat=round(mpg,10)
logit foreign i.rep78##i.fakecat
predict p2 if e(sample)
egen m2=mean(foreign), by(rep78 fakecat)
su m2 p2 if p2<.