st: RE: on interactions of endogenous variables with an exogenous one and xtivreg2

Subject   st: RE: on interactions of endogenous variables with an exogenous one and xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 4 Jul 2012 19:20:58 +0100

Rado,

You are right to be suspicious about the recommendation you've received.  Your intuition is correct - you should estimate as you have specified just above, so that in effect m appears in all the first-stage regressions.  The Stata FAQ here

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/instrumental-variables-regression/

explains why, I think.

> My second question refers to its estimation with xtivreg2.
> From reading previous posts, I have also found that I cannot
> store predicted values from the first stage with xtivreg2.

Actually, xtivreg2 with fixed effects won't produce predicted values of the dependent variable at all, whether first stage or second stage.  The reason is that the FE estimator doesn't allow estimation of the constant term.  There was a thread on just this point very recently:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-07/msg00053.html

Cheers,
Mark

> Is
> there a possibility to overcome this limitation by using
> another command to predict and store the RHSs from step 1 and
> 2 so I can estimate this model? (I use  fixed effects and I
> have to cluster by the panel id)
>
> Best,
> Rado

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

registered under charity number SC000278.