re: st: Propensity Score Matching

From   "Ariel Linden. DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Propensity Score Matching
Date   Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:22:29 -0400

This sounds to me like a case of mixing apples and oranges.

In its most general form, propensity score matching is intended to balance
observed baseline covariates between treated and non-treated individuals in
order to "replicate" an RCT (ie., that at least on observed characteristics
individuals are exchangeable).

Here you are matching at the aggregate level, and then you want to make
statements about treatment effects at the individual level? In considering
my last sentence, would you argue that you can achieve balance on individual
covariates when you are matching at the aggregate cross-sectional level? If
not, why would you think that your outcomes (measured at the individual
level) would not be potentially biased?

It seems to me that you may want to consider a difference-in-differences
model using the cross-sectional data as covariates and outcome. If you want
to use a PS approach (or any "matching" approach for that matter), you'll
need to have individual level characteristics and outcomes. You could throw
in some cross-sectional covariates if they make sense, depending on your
content expertise.

Whatever you do, it needs to stand up to scientific scrutiny, and I am not
sure you can make the case as you posed it.

I hope this helps

Ariel