st: AW: Calculating dynamic confidence intervals after ARIMA

From   "Roland Geier" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: Calculating dynamic confidence intervals after ARIMA
Date   Sun, 3 Jun 2012 11:19:58 +0200

Hi Carla,

maybe it's a fan chart you are looking for (aka "River of Blood" -
http://www.ecb.int/pub/mb/html/index.en.html)?
 If so, you might check out Chapter 14 of Stock/Watson, Introduction to
Econometrics 3rd ed., Pearson 2011, p. 582.

Such kind of charts are built of forecast intervals - these are like
confidence intervals except that they pertain to forecasts.
What you need are estimates of the RMSFE (root  mean squared forecast error)
which you can obtain from pseudo-out-of-sample(poos) forecasts (IMHO,
Stock/Watson p. 604 offers an excellent explanation).  "predict, mse"
calculates the mean squared errors of the observations, not of the forecasts
(pls correct me if I'm wrong) which can be used to get a confidence interval
for the model fit , but not to get dynamic, growing confidence intervals (as
you already pointed out).

I haven't found an out-of-the box module to calculate the poos forecasts.
With help of the description in Stock/Watson, the implementation is straight
forward.
The fan charts can be created with help of  overlapping rarea-graphics.

HtH

--
Roland