Re: st: Creating a dummy variable under certain conditions

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating a dummy variable under certain conditions
Date   Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:47:46 +0100

Use the -sum()- function to produce cumulative sums:

bysort gvkey (date) : gen cuviol = sum(viol)

Then the previous four observations were 0 if and only if the
cumulative sum did not change over that interval. This gives you a way
of getting your indicator variable:

by gvkey : gen myindicator = cuviol[_n-1] == cuviol[_n-4]

Nick (on behalf of SAND*)

* Society for the Abolition of the Name Dummy