Re: st: Regression question

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Regression question
Date   Sat, 26 May 2012 20:43:09 -0400

Hi, Mike.

The situation often turns out to be more complicated than the initial
question reveals.

As a quick answer, I can see a couple of possibilities.

One would combine the media types into categories for which all (or,
at least, most) companies have data.  You might have to omit companies
with only 1 type, but you might get an indication of whether media
type matters.

If you have a large number of companies, you could separate them into
subsets in which the companies use the same types of media (or perhaps
the same categories).  Within a subset, a regression model could get
at the contributions of the various types.

A preliminary analysis could use as X2 the total AD spending for all
types that the company used.  If X2 did not make an important
contribution (perhaps unlikely), you would not need to pursue the
individual types of media.

David Hoaglin