st: How to handle large (or small) odds ratios

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to handle large (or small) odds ratios
Date   Fri, 18 May 2012 10:06:13 +0100

Hi all,

Not specifically a Stata question, however, I have run a series of logistic regressions (in Stata) comparing the effects of delay in treatment  and a persons likelihood of dying within a given time period. I have exported the analysis in readiness to produce tables, but what I wanted to know is whether there is a convention for dealing with very large odds ratios when producing publication tables, in order to produce neat legible tables. Many of these large odds ratios are very significant. Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes

Tim

Here is an example of my table:

Characteristic				OR	LCI	UCI
Delay category
Not Delayed 				*	1.00
Delayed					1.12	0.47	2.67
Morphological Type
Adenomas and Adenocarcinomas		1.00
Squamous Cell				1.00	1.00	1.00
Cystic, Mucinous and Serous		5.01	0.87	29.05
Complex mixed and stromal		1.00	1.00E+00	1.00E+00
Other						1.69	0.57	5.06
Stage at diagnosis
Stage 1					1.00
Stage 2					4.75E+05	0.00E+00
Stage 3					1.00E+00	1.00E+00	1.00E+00
Stage 4					1.66E+06	0.00E+00
Unknown stage				3.65E+05	0.00E+00
Age at diagnosis (per year)		*1.08	1.03	1.13
Deprivation quintile
Most deprived				1.00
More deprived				1.08	0.29	4.01
Average deprivation			1.32	0.41	4.24
Less deprived				1.18	0.35	3.94
Least deprived				1.41	0.39	5.05
Sex
Male						*1.00
Female					0.37	0.15	0.92
Admission method
Elective					1.00
Emergency					1.31	0.45	3.78
Charlson combordity
0						**1.00
1						0.79	0.27	2.31
2						0.86	0.17	4.26
3						13.77	4.87	38.92
Diagnosis year
2006						1.00
2007						1.03	0.26	4.07
2008						1.24	0.33	4.59
2009						1.17	0.31	4.39
2010						1.04	0.30	3.65
_DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.