Re: st: random sampling matching the characteristics of the sample

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: random sampling matching the characteristics of the sample
Date   Thu, 3 May 2012 08:42:05 -0400

Andrea,

If we are to understand whether propensity scores are appropriate, you
must tell us more about the definition of the dummy variable, x.  If x
is the result of some sort of self-selection (e.g., the individuals
chose to participate in an activity), propensity scores might be
appropriate.  If x is an observed characteristic, but not a result of
such a choice (e.g., gender), propensity scores would not be
appropriate.

If the reviewer gave no explanation or reason for that request, I
would push back, saying that so far I have found no justification for
doing what the reviewer requested.  It is not unheard of for a
reviewer to be wrong.

In any event, you have not told us whether you have checked on the
assumption that the coefficients of age and size are the same for the
x=0 data and the x=1 data.  That is important, regardless of whether a
reviewer asked about it.

David Hoaglin