Re: st: Very high t- statistics and very small standard errors

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Very high t- statistics and very small standard errors
Date   Wed, 2 May 2012 15:38:13 +0100

I see. At best, that puts enormous trust in the order in which the
data arrive. At worst, it is meaningless.

To make it concrete, suppose you did this for the auto data bundled
with Stata. You might pick up something because the data come sorted
by the -make- variable, and it seems quite possible that cars from the
same manufacturer are not completely independent. But if that were the
substantive idea, it should be tested directly.

All that said, my advice is to throw the results of this test away. It
is not, and cannot be, a general purpose test for checking for
independence.

For the record, our friends at UCLA say (I am replacing your
incomplete reference)

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/webbooks/reg/chapter2/statareg2.htm

"When you have data that can be considered to be time-series you
should use the dwstat command that performs a Durbin-Watson test for
correlated residuals.

We don't have any time-series data, so we will use the elemapi2
dataset and pretend that snum indicates the time at which the data
were collected."

So their discussion and example do not endorse the application of this
test here.

Nick