FW: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   FW: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks
Date   Wed, 2 May 2012 12:24:33 +0100

Dear Statalist,

Sally Hinchliffe contacted me offline about this issue
(and what I had said), and I replied.

I am copying the messages to Statalist for anyone else who is interested.

-----Original Message-----
From: Seed, Paul
Sent: 01 May 2012 18:29
To: Hinchliffe, Sally R.
Subject: RE: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks

Dear Sally,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
I think I am OK in this instance.
I know the gestation at delivery for every pregnancy.
(That is usual for obstetric data, particularly for studies of high-risk women).

There is no loss to follow-up or other early censoring in the data (only administrative censoring at 37 weeks gestation for all women).
If there had been, I would have treated LTFU as censored at the last date on which the pregnancy was known to be ongoing.

Every woman has one of 3 outcomes:
* Pregnancy continues to 37 weeks
	( treated as censored at 37 weeks).
* Delivery with Spontaneous onset before 37 weeks
	(mainly spontaneous labour, but some Preterm Prelabour Rupture of Membranes[PPROM]) - treated as an event
* Delivery with Iatrogenic onset before 37 weeks
	(either induction or elective C/Section)

My concern is to accurately estimate the probability of spontaneous onset before various dates - not in the hazard ratios, while properly allowing for the competing risk of iatrogenic onset.

(I am carefully distinguishing onset from delivery.
Emergency C/S, for instance is spontaneous onset, but iatrogenic delivery).

BW

Paul Seed