RE: Re: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks
Date   Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:41:14 +0100

Dear Roger,
Thanks for the interest.

What I want is an algorithm to give me the probability of delivery for any women before any gestation up to 37 weeks (in particular before 30, 34, 37 weeks, and within 2 & 4 weeks of the test), based on the results of two clinical tests conducted at a known gestation.  Data are censored at 37 weeks, as delivery after then is not clinically important. The probability should be derived from a formula for the Hazard that can be generally applied; so Cox's regression is out.

Numbers would be available to obstetricians, midwives and women to help decisions about clinical care (& holiday planning for the women).

The problem is complicated by the two competing risks of spontaneous onset and iatrogenic onset (mainly elective C/S and induced labour). As you imply, the way the analysis is done affects the meaning of the answer obtained; and I am still getting to grips with the implications.  It is, I think easier to validate a competing risk model, as all events are explicitly included, and you are describing what actually happens.  Of course like any model it is only applicable if circumstances (in particular the pressure for iatrogenic delivery) remain the same.

In fact, since posting, I have read around & done some web searches & realised that survival analysis with competing risks is not so different from ordinary survival analysis, which answers my immediate problem .  The same regression methods and software can apparently be used.  It is only necessary to treat the subjects with competing events (women undergoing induction or C/S) as censored at the end of the study period.  Separate analyses are needed for each of the different risks; and the individual probabilities and hazards can then be summed.

Best Wishes,
Paul