Re: st: xt: unit-specific trends

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xt: unit-specific trends
Date   Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:11:30 -0400

Thanks, Nick, Austin,

quickly on this: Before I rewrite my code again, I would appreciate a
comment from StataCorp. I used "if `touse'" because that is the
official way to make a program byable
(http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?byable). If there is any case where the
-if- condition need not be checked for the entire dataset, a -by: -
run is that, isn't it? (By the way, as a -by- always run when sorted
on the "by" variable, it is really prone to range subscripts.) So I
expect that Stata takes care of that when runs a byable command with
-bys: -.

I am not sure my Mata code could be much better than a well-written
-by:-, so first I would hear about whether -bys: - is written well. :)
And my impression is that to drop _N-10 observations but then restore
after a preserve is prohibitively costly.

Thanks,

Laszlo