Re: st: only display top 5 results in pie graph

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: only display top 5 results in pie graph
Date   Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:18:06 +0100

I am not fond of pie charts, but there is a partial defence.

1. They are so familiar to many audiences that they will go down easily.

2. People tend to be quite good at some comparisons, particularly if
pie slices are about 50% or about 25%. This may be a side-effect of
hungry meal-times when young or when sharing dessert with Stata
developers.

Naturally, there are negatives, including

3. You should be so lucky that your data are so simple. It's all too
common to have lots of small slices and decoding relative or absolute
sizes is then hard work. Bar charts work better.

4. Multiple pie charts usually don't work at all. You are supposed to
compare slice by slice???

5. Even with a single pie chart there is often not enough space to
avoid an awkward multicolour display and a legend. In principle people
know that they can go back and forth between legend and pie, but
usually don't bother.

If you haven't met it before: the rule let one child cut and the other
choose the first slice is a good one. No graphical application though.

Nick