re: st: source code of mo files in ssc or sj packages

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: source code of mo files in ssc or sj packages
Date   Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:22:29 -0400

<>
Laszlo said

> I need to work with quantile IV models, and I trust the work of Do Won
> Kwak on this, which seems to be imminent in Stata Journal:
>
> https://www.msu.edu/~kwakdo/ivqreg.pdf
>

> However, the package circulated has the readable ado file but the
> compiled mo files. Is there a repository for the source of these (at
> least after it gets onto sj)?
>
> Of course, I contacted Do Won about this, but he must be busy, he has
> not got back to me yet.
>
> I would need the original source to be able to copy it to a system and
> compile over there. I cannot upload files.

.mo (compiled Mata) files are not platform/OS dependent. They are only sensitive to the version of Mata that
was used to compile them.

Although it would always be preferable for SJ or SSC authors to provide the Mata source code for their
routines, they need not do so if they wish to keep them private (just as StataCorp does for a number of commands
accessed from an .mlib, whereas others are accessible within Mata). Thus it is not an SJ submission requirement
that Mata source code be provided, although it is always welcomed. Likewise for the SSC Archive.

If you can copy .ado files to a server, you can copy .mo or .mlib files to the server, so strictly
speaking you do not need the .mo files to use the commands that reference their contents.

Kit
manager SSC

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |   http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html