Re: st: Re:number of occurences

From   "Victor Zammit" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re:number of occurences
Date   Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:34:14 +0200

Yes,indeed,having to type out all occurences,was tedious, error prone and confidence shattering.The feedback that I received on the model problem/toy problem,enlightened me as to locating expences towards a particular activity,from a list of some nine hundred short explanations of types of expences ,that never exceed 25 strings,words or symbols.over a one year period.I must say that in cases where the symbol "-" was present,I used filefilter ,to distinguish particular tracing word,that identified the particular expence. I resolved it by :

drop _all

input str10 a1 str10 a2 .......str10 a25

(some nine hundred lines of explanations of types of expences,after filefilter)

end

save a,replace

forvalues i = 1/25 {

use a,clear

keep if a`i'=="identifier"

save a`i',replace

}

use a1,clear

forvalues i = 2/25 {

append using a`i'.dta

}

save a_a,replace

That gives me all the occurences towards the particular expence .

I used merge to verify the type of expences, Summed the amounts and voila.

Thanks for all the feedback that I received,and to life after Stata.

Victor Zammit.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>