Re: st: Re:number of occurences

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re:number of occurences
Date   Sun, 1 Apr 2012 09:04:51 +0100

As so often happens on this list, I don't recommend regex machinery
here when simpler methods will suffice.

Here is yet another way to approach this:

. input str80 mystr

         mystr
  1. red-white-brown-orange-black-pink-blue
  2. grey-orange-white-red-yellow-blue
  3. grey-yellow-blue-black-white-green
  4. black-pink-orange-blue-grey-white
  5. grey-green-yellow-white-red-pink
  6. black-pink-orange-grey-white-red
  7. grey-white-black-blue-brown-pink
  8. grey-pink-blue-black-red-green
  9. grey-green-black-blue-brown-orange
 10. black-grey-brown-yellow-orange-pink
 11. red-white-yellow-blue-black-green-brown
 12. black-pink-grey-blue-green-white
 13. grey-green-black-brown-yellow-pink
 14. grey-black-red-blue-yellow-green
 15. grey-blue-red-orange-yellow-black
 16. red-white-green-pink-black-orange-grey
 17. grey-black-pink-orange-yellow-brown
 18. black-white-green-pink-grey-red
 19. grey-green-orange-pink-red-yellow
 20. black-grey-red-green-yellow-orange
 21. end

. compress
mystr was str80 now str39

. split mystr, p(-)
variables created as string:
mystr1  mystr2  mystr3  mystr4  mystr5  mystr6  mystr7

. tabm mystr?, trans

           |                                   variable
    values |    mystr1     mystr2     mystr3     mystr4     mystr5
mystr6     mystr7 |     Total
-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------
     black |         6          2          3          2          3
     1          0 |        17
      blue |         0          1          2          6          0
     1          1 |        11
     brown |         0          0          2          1          2
     1          1 |         7
     green |         0          4          2          1          1
     4          0 |        12
      grey |        11          2          1          1          2
     0          1 |        18
    orange |         0          1          3          3          1
     3          0 |        11
      pink |         0          4          1          3          0
     5          0 |        13
       red |         3          0          3          1          3
     2          0 |        12
     white |         0          5          1          1          2
     2          0 |        11
    yellow |         0          1          2          1          6
     1          0 |        11
     Total |        20         20         20         20         20
    20          3 |       123

Here -tabm- is from -tab_chi- (SSC).

Nick