RE: st: ranking variables on the basis of total values of observations

From   tashi lama <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ranking variables on the basis of total values of observations
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:02:41 +0000

Dear Nick,

Yes, it does look like a rowranks problem but i think it is lil deeper because I have a time series data and I want to be able to provide time range. So, if you look at the following dataset, rowranks will give me a rank for each row.. But that is not exactly what I want. I want to be able to rank not only for 05jan2010, 06jan2010 and so on but 05jan2010-08jan2010. Now, in order to this, I have to be able to sum the values from 05jan2010-08jan2010 for all var1 var2 and var3 like given below. If I can do that, there would be only one row where obs are the sum. If i can do that, I can use rowranks. So,

date                     totalvar2 totalvar3 totalvar4

05jan2010-08jan2010           10      10       22

Yes, now I could use rowranks. Ahh...actually this analogy might make things clear. You know how when you graph pie, you could give do sth like

graph pie var1 var2 if tin(05jan2010, 08jan2010), plabel(_all percent) => stata will sum the values of obs for both var1 and var2 for that period and compute the percentage. Rowranks doesn't allow ifs looking at the syntax.

Let me know if I could make any clearer.

Thanking and really appreciating your time and wisdom,

Tashi