st: work with larger string length

From   tashi lama <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: work with larger string length
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:57:51 +0000

Hellow All,

       I posted a question related to this earlier and received favorable answers although I am not sure if I completely understand the science. I have dared to post this question again. Any help will be highly appreciated.

I have a dataset of some 48 variables and the nature of my problem obliges me to have all variables start with hit. when I ran this code,

              foreach x of varlist hit* {
              local varlist_new=subinstr("`varlist'", "`x'","",1)
               di "`varlist_new'"
               egen tot_`x'=rowtotal(`varlist_new')
                 }

The problem was I did get answers but the upon close analysis, the answers were incorrect. I am assuming it must be because the length of my string variables exceed 244. Now, I was advised to use extended subinstr function, which seem to work. Further I wrote a code below, which also works.

                                    foreach x of  varlist hits* {
                                                              gen temp=`x'
                                                               replace  `x'=.
                                                              egen tot_`x'=rowtotal(hits*)
                                                              replace `x'=temp
                                                              drop temp
                                                              }

My question is

1. since string limit is 244, what is it about extended function subinstr that makes string limitation non issue. Does extended function increase the acceptable string length which I think is unlikely?

2. The code without subinstr works and again, it sounds like string limitation is a non issue. Again, is the code increasing the accepateble length of the string??

3. when I use length command to find the length of the string in stata12, I get unrecognized command. Any idea.

Thanks so much...

Tashi