Re: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous

From   Bert Jung <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous
Date   Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:18:48 -0400

Thanks all.  I wanted to apologize for my silence on this thread as I
was recovering from a bout of flu.  Nick is indeed right and my goal
is data management.  And Daniel is right that my coding was
convoluted.  I will ponder more, and read up on Cameron's suggested
papers for a related problem I see coming down the road.

Bert

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>        su var, mean
>>        assert (var == r(min) | var == r(max) | var >= . ) & r(min) != r(max)
>>
>> The question asked about binary or continuous; but
>> the possibility of categorical must also be considered.
>> For this there is a simple test; provided your continuous variable
>> is not rounded to the nearest integer & your categorical variables
>> do not include fractions.
>>        assert var == int(var)
>>

>> Paul T Seed, Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics,
>> Division of Women’s Health, King’s College London
>> Women’s Health Academic Centre, KHP
>> (+44) (0) 20 7188 3642.
>>

>>> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 07:05:00 +0000
>>> From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
>>> Subject: Re: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous
>>>
>>> Variations on this are often used inside Stata commands
>>>
>>> sort var
>>> assert var == var[1] | var == var[_N]
>>>
>>> Here -var- must be one of two distinct values, but nothing specifies
>>> what they are precisely.
>>>
>>> Nick

>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 07:46:20 +0000
>>> From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
>>> Subject: Re: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous
>>>
>>> My wording was sloppy. That test is satisfied also by one distinct
>>> value. For there to be precisely two distinct values, it is also
>>> necessary for -var[1]- to differ from -var[_N]-.
>>>
>>> Similarly the test -inlist(var, 0, 1)- is satisfied if -var- is always
>>> 0 or if -var- is always 1.
>>>
>>> Nick

>>> allowed

>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:03:04 +0000 (GMT)
>>> From: olorunfemi sola <[email protected]>
>>> Subject: st: working with panel data in Stata
>>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Am working with panel data. The data are as follows:
>>> id    time    ep    dep    lr
>>> lagos    2000    10    11    12
>>> lagos    2001    8    12    13
>>> lagos    2002    9    9    9
>>> lagos    2003    7    10    12
>>> ondo    2000    10    8    10
>>> ondo    2001    8    12    13
>>> ondo    2002    10    11    14
>>> ondo    2003    7    10    11
>>> ife    2000    9    11    12
>>> ife    2001    8    8    11
>>> ife    2002    9    10    12
>>> ife    2003    10    9    12
>>> But when i give this command --------" tsset id time " it gave the
>>> following error:
>>>   tsset id time
>>> varlist:  id:  string variable not allowed

>>> Cheers,
>>> M.
>>>

>>> - --
>>> Matthew Kerby, PhD
>>>
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Department of Political Science
>>> Memorial University of Newfoundland
>>> St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 3X9, Canada
>>>
>>> email: kerbym(at)mun.ca
>>> web: matthewkerby.net
>>> twitter: matthewkerby
>>> Tel: (709) 864-3093
>>> Fax: (709) 864-4000
>>>

>>> This electronic communication is governed by the terms and conditions
>>> at
>>> http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011
>>> .php
>>>
>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:55:33 +0000 (GMT)
>>> From: olorunfemi sola <[email protected]>
>>> Subject: Re: st: Re: Re: working with panel data in Stata
>>>
>>> Nick,
>>> Â Sorry, it was a costly mistake from me. I will not repeat it. Am
>>> sorry.

>>> ***********************************************************************
>>> SOLA OLORUNFEMIÂ Â  Ph.D
>>> SENIOR LECTURERÂ Â