RE: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Confirming whether a variable is binary or continuous
Date   Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:24:52 +0000

It may be that a binary variable contains missing values.
For system missing, with 3 possible values [0, 1, .] one can use
        assert var^2 == var
But this still leaves the possibility of no ones or zeros,
and does not handle other non-missing values.

A more general solution for any 2 non-missing values is

        su var, mean
        assert (var == r(min) | var == r(max) | var >= . ) & r(min) != r(max)

The question asked about binary or continuous; but
the possibility of categorical must also be considered.
For this there is a simple test; provided your continuous variable
is not rounded to the nearest integer & your categorical variables
do not include fractions.
        assert var == int(var)

Paul T Seed, Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics,
Division of Women’s Health, King’s College London
Women’s Health Academic Centre, KHP
(+44) (0) 20 7188 3642.