Re: st: Comparing strings

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comparing strings
Date   Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:45:12 +0100

I agree with Eric.

The problem of fuzzy matches is immensely more difficult than that of
exact matches, not least because of the difficulty of defining
(exactly!)  what the problem is. But I doubt that fuzziness usually
implies that anagrams are allowed and as acceptable as the original,
so you are best off looking in other directions.

Nick

From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> -indexnot()- is a function, not a command.
>>>
>>> It's not clear to me what you want, but you can check for whether the
>>> same letters occur in two strings, at the cost of some programming.
>>> For example, a Mata function can be written to sort the characters of
>>> a string scalar into alphabetical order. Here is one:
>>>
>>> mata :
>>>
>>> string scalar deorst(string scalar mystring) {
>>>
>>> real scalar len
>>> string vector work
>>> len = strlen(mystring)
>>> work = J(len, 1, "")
>>> for(i = 1; i <= len; i++) work[i] = substr(mystring, i, 1)
>>> _sort(work, 1)
>>> mystring = ""
>>> for(i = 1; i <= len; i++) mystring = mystring + work[i]