st: revisiting the question about Classification And Regression Tree analysis in stata

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: revisiting the question about Classification And Regression Tree analysis in stata
Date   Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:54:58 -0400

Hi All (including Stata staff),

I did a google search on old postings pertaining to programs for performing
regression tree analysis in Stata. Currently there is only one user-written
program called -cart- (Wim van Putten, last update in 2004) that performs
such an analysis, but only on for failure time data. Over the past few years
posters have asked if Stata is planning to incorporate such commands in the
product, and last I can tell the answer is "we'll see".

Every so often we listers post a "wish-list" of commands we'd like to see
added to official Stata. I definitely think it is time for regression tree
analysis to be added. Researchers in various disciplines (as well as
industry) have access to larger and larger data sets (even mega data), and
the need to sift through these data to find patterns is perhaps more
pressing now than any time in the past.

I prefer not having to purchase and learn a new software product to run
these types of analyses (such as JMP or R), so I am hoping that Stata is
listening...

On the other hand, perhaps someone knows of a user written program that can
be shared with the rest of us?

OK, I just stepped off my soap-box...

Thanks

Ariel