st: -cluster kmeans- or -cluster kmedian-

From   David Cefskimal <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -cluster kmeans- or -cluster kmedian-
Date   Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:04:48 +0100

Dear Statalist,

Stata offers cluster kmeans and cluster kmedian command.

I am wondering why some scholars used cluster kmeans and not cluster
kmedians to form “attitude clusters” of ordinal scalled (likert type)
variables?

Second, to me it does not make much sense to have binary coded
variables included in such a cluster analysis at least if the cluster
analysis is based on Euclidian distance measure, or not?

Thanks! David