Re: st: Count models and fractional variables

Subject   Re: st: Count models and fractional variables
Date   Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:28:55 -0400

J.M.C. Santos Silva <[email protected]>:

While others differ, Stata convention is that truncation of y means
the values are not observed if y<a (as in -truncreg-) but censoring
means that y is measured as a if y<a (as in -tobit-). In the first
case, we do not have X either, so we cannot estimate a tobit using
censored obs.

I agree with your advice not to use the tobit or a zero inflated
model, but only on the grounds that they require (typically) untenable
distributional assumptions for consistent estimates, whereas a -glm-
needs only the functional form for the conditional mean.

However, it is possible that there is a form of censoring in such
data.  It is true that we would expect the conditional mean of a count
outcome such as patents (or an arrival rate of patents) to be nonzero
given any covariates X, even if infinitely small, but it need not be;
it can be exactly zero, if for example some group of inventors is
ineligible to file for patents.

If categorical ineligibility derives from a binary (latent)
characteristic, perhaps as in a logit or probit model, then a zero
inflation process is at work; if the ineligibility derives from a
cutoff score on some continuous (latent) characteristic, then perhaps
a censoring model is in order (but probably still not a -tobit-).

Just to reiterate: I agree -glm- or an equivalent count model is
preferable in general for the application described, or perhaps a
discrete-time hazard model, but for some applications a zero-inflated
model may be preferable; without knowing much more about the data and
the data generating process (i.e. institutional settting) is hard to
know for sure.

Fabiana and Stefano H. Baruffaldi <[email protected]>:

Are there many inventors who never get a patent?

Do you believe there are inventors with a zero conditional mean in
patents per year?

If so, is there a known reason for that property?

Do you measure the reasons for the zero/nonzero conditional mean?

If you can estimate a logit that perfectly predicts zero/nonzero total
patents, perhaps you should just use -glm- on the group with nonzero
total patents.