Re: st: Converting count to dichotomous variable

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Converting count to dichotomous variable
Date   Sat, 10 Mar 2012 15:57:40 -0600

On Mar 10, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Shittu, Aminu wrote:

>  Is it possible to force them in a single graph with 7 lines each for a pond, showing monthly totals?

Building on the previous example....

***************!
clear

*--fake data
set obs 7
g var3 = _n
expand 365
sort var3
g var2 = int(30+runiform()*100)
g var1 = int(runiform()*4)
su var*
by var3:  g day = _n

*---create fake month var:
by var3: g month = int(runiform()*12+1)
loc i = 1
foreach m in `c(Mons)' {
	loc l `l' `i' `"`m'"'
	loc i `++i'
	} //label.months
lab def jj `l', modify
lab val month jj
ta month //use your real month data for real day counts

*---graph: monthly totals for each pond (var3)

*--1. create monthly totals of mortalities(var1)
bys month var3: egen mt_var1 = total(var1)
lab var mt_var1 "monthly total mortalities for each pond"
bys month: egen mt_var2 = total(var1)
lab var mt_var2 "monthly total mortalities for ALL ponds"
lab var var3 "Pond"

*--2. graphs

**graph macro for options:
loc opts `"name(g1, replace) xtitle(Month) xlabel(#12, labels labsize(small) angle(forty_five) valuelabel) title(Mortalities Totals each Month) scheme(sj) xsize(10) ysize(6)"' //watch for wrapping!!

**a. Overall Totals
twoway (line mt_var2 month,  ///
	 sort  cmissing(y)),  ///
	 subtitle({bf:All Ponds}) `opts'
    graph save g1 `"overall.gph"', replace

**b. by Pond
 *-build graph command:
	levelsof var3, loc(ponds)
 foreach x in `ponds' {
	loc p  `" `p'  (line mt_var1 month if var3 == `x') "'
	loc leg `" `leg' `x' `"Pond `x'"' "'
	} //line for each pond
	di `"`leg'"'
twoway `p',  legend(on order(`"`leg'"') size(vsmall)) ///
	subtitle({bf:By Ponds}) `opts'
    graph save g1 `"ByPond.gph"', replace

- Eric

__