Re: st: Oaxaca - Negative value for unexplained portion Oaxaca - Negative value for unexplained portion

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Oaxaca - Negative value for unexplained portion Oaxaca - Negative value for unexplained portion
Date   Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:02:29 +0500

What I understand from the decomposition strategy in Oaxaca-Blinder
technique and may be I am totally wrong, the discrimination is becuase
of the differentials in the regression coefficients which are assumed
otherwise same for both the groups. Positive and negative signs just
indicates positive or negative discrimination. More details in the
paper send earlier.

Hope this explains what you want.
Anees

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Sol Kizzy Ruiz Rodriguez
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Statalist,
>
> I am decomposing the white female (high mod) - black female (low mod)
> wage gap using oaxaca command in Stata.
>
> I got negative value for the unexplained portion (differential due to
> coefficients a.k.a. discrimination). And when I looked closer, most of
> this -negativity- is due to the effect of the intercept coefficient.
>
> Now, I am wondering how to interpret this negative value.
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Best
Muhammad Anees
Assistant Professor/Programme Coordinator
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
Attock 43600, Pakistan
http://www.aneconomist.com