Re: st: Power estimation in Cox ph model

Subject   Re: st: Power estimation in Cox ph model
Date   Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:13:45 -0500

Sergey,

See Version 12 manual shows for example 5, page 286.  the number before the comma is the coefficient you wish to detect. It is the log of the hypothetical HR you wish to detect.

In

stpower cox 1, ...

1 was the log(hr) to detect.  HR = exp(1)= 2.718 or exp(-1) 1/2.718. It has no relevance to your problem; it was just an illustration of the technique. Take values for the HR  from previous studies.

You quoted an HR = 1.20.  So I'll presume that is one the values from a previous study. Then the beta coefficient to detect is ln(1.20) = 0.1823.  Also your failure probability = 53/2387 = 0.0222.  n() contains the number of subjects.

You don't say what the SD of log hydrazine was, but suppose it was, e.g. 2.1

stpower cox 0.1823, n(2387) sd(2.1) failprob(0.0222)

For the adjusted analysis, you will have to add the r-squared for the correlation of each chemical with internal radiation and all other covariates. You can guess that or, if you have the data, do your own multiple regression of, e.g. log(hydrazine exposure) on the other factors and use that r-square.

If, for hydrazine t r-square = .04, the statment would be:.

stpower cox 0.1823, n(2387) sd(2.1) r2(.04) failprob(0.0222)

So you can check more than one set of assumptions at a time and produce a table.  Suppose that two  another plausible values for hydrazine are hr =  hr = 1.25, with coefficient beta ln(1.25) = .22314355. and hr = 1.5  with beta = .40546511  Then you can get a table by running:

stpower cox (0.1823 0.2231 0.4055), n(2387) sd(2.1) r2(.04) failprob(0.0222)

Best of luck,

Steve
[email protected]