st: Class definition changed between Stata 11 and 12

Subject   st: Class definition changed between Stata 11 and 12
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2012 22:52:03 -0500

Dear All,

in Stata 11 and earlier versions all of the following were perfectly valid:

.MyObject = .object.new
.MyObject = .Object.new
.MyObject = .OBJECT.new
.MyObject = .ObJeCt.new

In Stata 12 only the first syntax continues to work.

Comparison of the class definition files showed that files were
changed in June 2011, just before the Stata 12 release.

1. What is the rationale for disabling the other notations?

2. In order to make the older program work (it used the second
notation) I want to create another object.class file with name
"Object" and inherit from "object". What is Stata's strategy for
looking for a class definition precisely? Especially when multiple
class definitions exist? Since on a Windows machine I can't have two
files with identical names differing only by the case, how exactly
should I define my child class without modifying any of the files
shipped with Stata?

As always any additional advice on the topic is much welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you,
    Sergiy Radyakin