Re: st: bootstrap vector autoregression (var)?

Subject   Re: st: bootstrap vector autoregression (var)?
Date   Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:26:49 -0500

The bootstrap methods for dependent data, such as VAR, are not
trivial. Typically, block bootstrap schemes are used where short
contiguous blocks (say with four lags, just to be on the safe side in
case your model did not specify enough lags) of observations are kept
together as a part of the bootstrap subsample. You have to go to the
literature for this, and I would expect to be able to find
user-written block bootstrap commands, but this is not my area, and I
cannot recommend anything specific (other than to Google it).

On the technical side, you need to tell -var- how your data are
-tsset-. When you do the plain bootstrap, you get repeated and missing
values of -tsset-, so -var- does not want to run: it does not have a
sequential -year- values to operate with.