st: Number of patients at risk from sts list - subgroup analyses

From   James Morden <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Number of patients at risk from sts list - subgroup analyses
Date   Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:38:43 +0000

Dear all,

I had a query relating to the number of patients at risk in survival analyses and wondered if anyone could help.

I am using the sts list command to calculate the number of events and patients at risk at different time points to go below a Kaplan-Meier plot. I also want to present graphs for a subgroup analysis, so separate K-M plots for two different groups. All patients are in one of these two groups. When using sts list to get the numbers at risk for each separate subgroup, I noticed that these do not add up to the overall figure, in fact always being 1 larger. Was there a reason for this, and anyway to get around it?
The number of events in each of the subgroups does seem to add up to the numbers in the overall analysis.

Many thanks,
James

James Morden
Medical Statistician
ICR Clinical Trials and Statistics Unit (ICR-CTSU)
Section of Clinical Trials
The Institute of Cancer Research
Sir Richard Doll Building
Cotswold Road
Sutton, Surrey
SM2 5NG

Tel: 020 8722 4187

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.