Re: st: error message

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: error message
Date   Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:56:49 +0000

This FAQ from November 1997 (I am, or was, the perpetrator) carries
the warning flag

"Note: This FAQ is relevant for users of releases prior to Stata 8."

It doesn't say that it is irrelevant for users of releases from 8 on, but

1. Specifically, the syntax being tried here is the old Stata graphics
syntax. To make it work you need to write -graph7- instead of -graph-
in any Stata from 8 up.

2. You can do better with more recent stuff.

If you want a graph like the first displayed example, check out
-twoway pcspike- or -linkplot- (SSC).

If you want a graph like the second displayed example, check out
-twoway pcspike- or -parplot- (SSC) and

Nicholas J. Cox. 2009.
Speaking Stata: Paired, parallel, or profile plots for changes,
correlations, and other comparisons.
Stata Journal 9(4): pp. 621-639
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=gr0041

Abstract.  Paired, parallel, or profile plots showing the values of
two variables may be constructed readily using a combination of graph
twoway commands. This column explores the principles and practice of
such plot-making, considering both wide and long (panel or
longitudinal) data structures in which such data may appear.
Applications include analysis of change over time or space and indeed
any kind of correlation or comparison between variables. Such plots
may be extended to show numeric values and associated name
information.

Nick