Re: st: analysis of cluster of fungal infection in an ICU-unit

Subject   Re: st: analysis of cluster of fungal infection in an ICU-unit
Date   Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:25:51 -0500

roland andersson <[email protected]>:
Why not instead construct a discrete-time competing risks model?  Just
use mlogit and regress on time since last infection of each type, and
time in ICU (capturing baseline hazard).  If a given type has a large
positive impact on the hazard of infection of that type, and other
type has no impact, you have evidence of clustering, and that type of
model can admit covariates that can constitute alternative
explanations, i.e. you may be able to falsify the model with another
kind of explanation than simple clustering in time.  In this case,
individual patients at each point in time (each day perhaps?) would be
the units of observation and no infection would not really be an
outcome type since the patient would remain in the risk pool; leaving
the ICU would be a censoring of data, i.e. the data ends when either
an infection is observed or the patient leaves the ICU.  You can also
run a bunch of separate logits for each type of risk regressed on time
since last infection of that type, but the mlogit allows some kinds of
infection to alter the hazard for some other type.  My concern about
alternative types of explanation is that there are always unmodeled
pathways; if the transmission cannot be affected by the building or
equipment etc. still perhaps the susceptibility to infection can be
(that is, the fungus is able to get a foothold when a patients immune
system is depressed by a chemical on the equipment).