Re: st: Model for Poisson-shaped distribution but with non-count data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Model for Poisson-shaped distribution but with non-count data
Date   Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:00:48 +0000

-gammafit- (SSC) has been available for some years, but random
intercepts are fancier than it does.

However, I am more concerned with two dogmas surfacing here without
little or no foundation, that

1. Poisson models are for counts only

2. You choose models based on the marginal distribution of the
response or outcome variable.

See http://blog.stata.com/2011/08/22/use-poisson-rather-than-regress-tell-a-friend/
for an excellent exposition that makes no such assumption on Poisson.
On the evidence here I would still try out -poisson- or a related
command.

I don't know where #2 comes from.  Every decent modelling text
explains that assumptions are about conditional distributions, and not
that important even then.

Nick