RE: st: how to do fama and macbeth procedure in poisson or nbreg regression

From   Eleimon Gonis <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: how to do fama and macbeth procedure in poisson or nbreg regression
Date   Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:20:47 +0000

The Fama and Macbeth (1973) regression is a routine regression in Finance. It is most commonly used to estimate parameters for asset pricing models, such as the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM).

The method essentially calculates the betas (sensitivity of the asset's returns to those of the market) and risk premia for any risk factors the researcher believes determine asset prices.

The method consists of two steps:
1. The first step includes regressing each asset's returns against all the proposed risk factors (e.g. inflation, GDP, etc) in order to determine the asset's beta for that risk factor.
2. The second step involves regressing cross-sections of asset returns (i.e. for a fixed time period) against those estimated betas so as to determine the risk premium for each risk factor.

The original empirical study is as follows:
Fama,E. and D. Macbeth (1973), "Risk, Return and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests" Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 81, No. 3, pp.607-636.

Regards,
Eleimon

Dr Eleimon Gonis BSc MSc PhD MICM
Senior Lecturer in Accounting and Finance
Programme Manager: MSc Finance
Centre for Global Finance
Bristol Business School
University of the West of England, Bristol
Frenchay Campus
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol
BS16 1QY