Re: st: Computation Speed for Bootstrapping

From   Benjamin Volland <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Computation Speed for Bootstrapping
Date   Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:05:36 +0100

Dan,

without knowing your code it is hard to say what's going on. It is particularly puzzling because the only thing that (presumably) changes from your running code to Jeph's suggestion is that you specify the starting values for maximization.

When running the following very simple example:
******************
version 12
set more off
timer clear

webuse grunfeld, clear
egen minvest = mean(invest), by(company)
gen binvest = 1 if invest > minvest
replace binvest = 0 if invest <= minvest
xtset company time

timer on 1
xtprobit binvest kstock mvalue
matrix b = e(b)
set seed 911
xtprobit binvest kstock mvalue, vce(boot, reps(20)) from(b)
timer off 1

timer on 2
set seed 911
xtprobit binvest kstock mvalue, vce(boot, reps(20))
timer off 2

timer list
everything works fine on my machine. Moreover, -timer- reveals that Jeph's suggestion substantially increases estimation speed in this simple case.
. timer list
   1:      3.50 /        1 =       3.5000
   2:      4.16 /        1 =       4.1560

Another thought on the speed of your estimation: it may be an idea to check your independents for (multi)collinearity, as this may substantially slow down convergence.

Best, Ben