Re: st: Standardized coefficients using nestreg: svy

Subject   Re: st: Standardized coefficients using nestreg: svy
Date   Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:14:28 -0500

At 06:17 PM 11/6/2011, Patricia Logan-Greene wrote:
Hello All,

We are hoping to get standardized betas when using nested regressions and the svy commands. The usual command (,beta) doesn't work with the svy commands. Adding listcoef after the nestreg command, unfortunately, only provides the betas for the last step. One can repeat each step of the nested regression separately, adding listcoef after each step, however the sample n in earlier steps does not always match the n included in the nested regression, as cases with missing values on later steps are excluded from all steps in nestreg.

Is there another way to get the betas? I suppose one could limit the sample to those with full data on all variables, OR could standardize all the variables before running the regression. Would love to hear if there's another option.

It isn't that hard to use the same sample throughout. Do something like

gen touse = !missing(y, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6)
svy, subpop(touse): reg y x1 x2
listcoef
svy, subpop(touse): reg y x1 x2 x3 x4
listcoef

Whether you should do this is another matter. The fact that the -beta- option doesn't work is one warning sign. I could swear there were threads explaining why standardized coefficients with svy: were a bad idea, but I can't find them, so maybe I am just imagining things.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam