Re: st: RE: Foreach loop for subsequent variables

From   Matthew White <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Foreach loop for subsequent variables
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:39:50 -0400

Not sure this is the best way, but how about:
***BEGIN***
ds
loc varl `r(varlist)'
forvalues i = 1(2)897 {
	preserve
	local j = `i' +1
	keep `:word `i' of `varl'' `:word `j' of `varl''
	save `i'2
	restore
}
***END***

Best,
Matt
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Dmitriy Glumov <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sorry for not including the code in the previous message, here it is:
>
> forvalues i = 1(2)897 {
>         preserve
>         local j = `i' +1
>        keep `i' `j'
>        save `i'2
>        restore
>        }
>
> And Stata's error message:
>
> 1 invalid name
> r(198);
>
> end of do-file
>
> I am trying to save variables 1 and 2 together as a separate file,
> variables 3 and 4 together as another separate file, and so on. This
> process can be done by hand but it would be very time-consuming (there
> are 898 variables) - and, that's why I am trying to write a loop for
> Stata do it automatically. If naming is an issue, all variables have
> different names (they are not named var1, var2, etc, but are rather
> named using first 4 letters of a company name). Again, thank you for
> the help and if anyone can share a solution or approach that is
> appropriate for this situation, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dmitriy
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I can't see your code from here. I guess you are confusing i (letter i) with 1 (number 1). If that is not the answer, you need to show us your code.
>>
>> Nick
>> [email protected]
>>
>> Dmitriy Glumov
>>
>> Thank you for your response. When I run forval as you suggested, I get
>> the error message (r 198) saying that "1" is an invalid name (I
>> believe this message refers to the very first 1 in the program). I am
>> not exactly sure why this message appears (if it helps, I work with
>> Stata 11), as other online examples that use the same context appear
>> to work. Again, thank you for your help and it would be greatly
>> appreciated if you or anyone else can help with this error.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Let's suppose your variables run var1 ... var42 so that the last pair is var41-var42.
>>>
>>> Then first I would use -forvalues- here. It is easier and a smidgen faster.
>>>
>>> forval i = 1(2)41 {
>>>
>>>        local j = `i' + 1
>>>        <whatever> var`i' var`j'
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> You can also go
>>>
>>> forval i = 1(2)41 {
>>>
>>>        <whatever> var`i' var`=`i'+1'
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> See [U] 18.3.8 and -help macro-.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> [email protected]
>>>
>>> Dmitriy Glumov
>>>
>>> I have recently begun to use Stata and have run into the problem
>>> writing a foreach loop. I have a large dataset of variables, paired in
>>> a way that var1 and var2 are together, var3 and var4 are together, and
>>> so on. I am writing a foreach loop for each individual odd variable
> [...]

Matthew White
Data Coordinator
Innovations for Poverty Action
101 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510 USA
+1 434-305-9861
www.poverty-action.org