RE: st: GMM error (bug in Stata?)

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: GMM error (bug in Stata?)
Date   Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:50:11 -0400

John,
I'm pretty sure Stas has nailed the problem here, i.e. # of clusters < or = # of parameters which causes GMM to choke. See in particular section 2.5 in:
Baum, C.F., & Schaffer, M.E. (2003). Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing. The Stata Journal, 3(1), 1?-31.http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot/econ583/sjpdf.pdf
and further developments.
Baum, C.F., Schaffer, M.E., & Stillman, S. (2007). Enhanced routines for instrumental variables/generalized method of moments estimation and testing. The Stata Journal, 7(4), 465-506.http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0030_3
I believe you are working with clustered cross-sectional rather than panel data models under GMM in this case, but you may also be interested in:
Mutl, J., & Pfaffermayr, M. (2011). The Hausman Test in a Cliff and Ord Panel Model. The Econometrics Journal, 14(1), 48-76.
which uses IVs and a spatial GMM approach (and a spatial Hausman test) to account for spatial correlations among sampled units.
My two cents,
Cam