st: RE: sgini and negative incomes

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: sgini and negative incomes
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:32:45 +0100

You don't explain where -sgini- comes from. You are asked to explain the sources of user-written commands, partly to make clear what you are talking about and partly to help other people learn what is available and partly to give credit to the program authors.

On your second question, there are simple things to try:

1. Omit all negative incomes from the calculation using -if- and see what difference it makes.

2. Consider the theory behind this calculation and how far it assumes positive or non-negative incomes.

I've been attempting to decompose the Gini coefficient of a measure A,
(where
A=B+C+D) using sgini command. Gini coefficient of component B is 1.046. I
have
two questions related to this: first, how can I interpret this coefficient.
Second: as A has some values that are negative, how does this affect the
interpretation of the Gini coefficient?
Any insight and/or advice would be appreciated!