re:st: FE over two columns

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   re:st: FE over two columns
Date   Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:03:17 -0400

<>
This is probably a stupid question that can easily be done within Stata.
So I have a  gravity model with two columns containing the country names
(obviously).  I want to apply country fixed effects: which means the index
of the FE model is over two columns (ie. a country specific dummy should
be set to one regardless of whether it appears in column one or column
two).

I only have about 50 countries, so I can easily do this manually with
excel then push it into stata; but I thought I should learn how to do this
if Stata can do it internally.

If the two columns are labeled exporter and importer (as is usual in analyzing trade data)
you can't specify country fixed effects based on a country being either an X or an M, as the
dummies would not be mutually exclusive (e.g. both US->UK and UK->US contain each of those
countries). Usually with this sort of data you create fixed effects for all combinations, e.g.

egen exorem = group(exporter importer)
tsset exorem year  (or whatever is your time unit)

exorem will take on different values for each trade linkage.

Kit